Monday, May 6, 2024

Note To Self


 Saw this on Facebook this morning and it was exactly what I needed to read today. I'm always wondering if I'm doing enough, for others, and for myself.  I have what I call a quiet little life. My house, my dogs, my friends, my love of antiques. I am a people person who is becoming more introverted, some by choice, some by circumstance. At 75 heading close to 76 I find I like doing nothing except sitting with my dogs.  I don't even turn on the TV or music. I sit in silence as dusk rolls in, looking out my French doors to the garden (sadly neglected) and watch as my solar lights blink on my fence, happy and content, until I realize I'm home alone every night. Tomorrow, I tell myself, I'll do more tomorrow. And I usually do, working at the art center, painting, my writing not so much as I wonder what I really have to say. Some friends do BIG things (they are a little younger) and I'm envious. Envious that they have the energy and desire to do BIG things. I worry I'm falling behind. Becoming dull, or even lazy. On days I wonder what is my purpose in life. Then I read the above and realized kindness is a great purpose in life. And hopefully I live that every day.  With family, friends, people I meet. Talk to strangers who come in the art center and listen to them. They leave and I've made a new friend. Years ago after I lost my husband and started writing, I did a post about my front door that I painted blue. I found my biggest adventures came right outside that door, in my community. I didn't have to travel far to find what I love best. For me, I've discovered my greatest moments are close to home and after all these years, that is a grand life. I hope my purpose will continue to be there for others, listening, offering friendship, and trying to be the best I can. And the dogs, oh my, the dogs I've taken in and loved. I sit at night and watch them, once lost, now happy and fighting to see who gets to sit on my lap next. I've done well there!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the article but loved your response. I can so relate. Being over 70 now, I wonder what more I can do. Yours was what I needed to read today. Thanks Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Note To Self

  Saw this on Facebook this morning and it was exactly what I needed to read today. I'm always wondering if I'm doing enough, for ot...