Friday, October 22, 2021

A Question On Style


What is your style?


I've never gotten a grip on style. When I worked for the federal government I dressed in long skirts, flats, some sort of sweater or fancy T-shirt, and always wore vintage cameos. When I retired and became a full-time antique dealer, doing shows and having a few booths hither and yon, all my work clothes went to Goodwill, and my cameos sold at Scott's Antique Market. The me I seem to still be surfaced. Jeans, black sweaters, black T-shirts, and as I've mellowed over the years, small print longer blouses. Cowboy boots in those early retirement days and now canvas Mary Janes are my go-to shoes. First, the cameos were replaced with layers of vintage Native American Turquoise pieces which were replaced with artist-made pieces from Etsy with old tintype photos, crosses, and rhinestones. Big, chunky pieces that drew attention. I remember running into an art gallery in Decatur in 2011 (having just left my little shop) to view an exhibit of dog paintings. I felt a mess. Didn't have time to clean up or change. My typical black sweater and jeans, only I have several thick silver and turquoise necklaces around my neck and rings on my fingers and bracelets up both arms. Decked in my favorite vintage Native American pieces. I became the center of attention!  Everyone loved (loves) vintage turquoise, and I stood taller, laughing, not worried about my clothes. No one ever noticed anything but my jewelry. The same thing with my "dead people" jewelry, as I like to refer to pieces with old tintypes in them. The folks were very much alive at the time of the photoshoot, just not now. After all, I like to be artsy, not morbid!

I wouldn't leave the house without my jewelry, lip-gloss, and always, perfume. My fashion statements. I used to put on lip-gloss and perfume to greet the pizza delivery guy (jewelry would have been overkill). I didn't want him thinking I was home alone on a Saturday night.

My how times have changed again. I moved to Monroe just as the pandemic arrived. I promise we didn't travel together. I never unpacked my jewelry and spent most days in sweat capris. I had essential boxes to unpack, a house I fell in love with, and my crazy dogs to keep me occupied initially. Any fashion sense tanked. I stopped coloring my hair (I always do my own. Not a beauty shop gal). And somewhere in there, I started painting my garden ladies. Happy ladies with a style of their own. I may walk around covered in acrylic paint and glitter, still in PJ's until 4PM, hair matted to my head from sleep the night before (I get up, feed dogs, and start painting) but my ladies had to be lovely. I wanted them to reflect the beauty in everyday life, happy with themselves, loving flowers and gardens, and pets. Then Mazie Mouse joined in, with her crisp white apron. A lady with a lot to do in her day. But still, garden and flower-related. And glitter! Heaven knows I am in love with glitter.

Painting helped me find my own style again. Still jeans and T-shirts and come fall (which is upon us, right?) sweaters. The first day I put on one of my art necklaces I danced a little jig. I sprayed perfume (too much, as I was excited!) around myself. The dogs coughed. But I laughed. I've missed you, jewelry! Then I stepped out my kitchen door with confidence.

I think the best style at any age is to be comfortable in what you wear, be warm and friendly to others, and always smile. No one really cares how you are dressed and to totally make Maya Angelou's quote my own, "No one really cares what you wear, but will remember how you made them feel." (Don't grimace. Remember I am writing this for myself and sharing it with those who find my blog!)


In case you make it here, what is your favorite style?











 

1 comment:

Thankful For Books Giveaway with WOW! Women On Writing

 I'm excited my novella "Christmas With Ginger" is one of the many books in this fabulous giveaway with WOW! Women On Writing....