Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Good-bye Web Page Hello Blog


 Today I took a bold step. Well for me it was bold.  I canceled my author website. It will disappear mid-month. My annual renewal fee came in and it was $204. I looked at my checking account, the one stretched to the limit and decided it was time to part company. I AM an author, a writer, but I wear a new hat now, too. Artist. I wanted a space I could talk about everything I love from writing, painting, antiques, decorating, and my naughty six Chihuahuas. Maybe even throw in some life wisdom if I wear my thinking cap.

As soon as I made my decision to let go of a website I've struggled with for years, a feeling of freedom came over me. I've been "Writer With Dogs" since I bought that domain twelve years ago. And back then I was a writer, publishing my widow memoir followed by my slightly x-rated farmhouse thriller, my dog's Paris diary, and finally my final widow memoir. Yes, I'm still a widow, but that's only part of who I am. Even "Writer With Dogs" has been replaced by "Chihuahua Mama". But understand I still own that "Writer With Dogs" domain! I like to hoard domains. 

For the last two years, I followed my heart and started painting. I'm lost in acrylics and covered in glitter. A child playing and having fun. Happy paintings of ladies in gardens, flowers, cats, dogs, mice wearing dresses. Whimsical images that share beauty and joy. 

I've never been able to find how to juggle all I love on social media. Promoting books one day, art another. And truth be told, I don't think my website drew attention it was just a filler on other areas that requested a web link. 

At 73 I still wonder, who am I? I am everything I love and some things I'm not so crazy about. I'm still learning and growing. "You're never too old." I love that saying. There are days I wish I could do more. Joints hurt, I don't walk well, my cane is my buddy. And napping with the dogs is the best idea ever.  But most days I'm filled with energy to take on the world My world that is a creative one.

I'm painting, working on my Christmas novella, a children's book is forming, and hey, that $204 I saved by canceling my website, it's buying a sweet farmhouse cupboard for my guest room. Sorry, Visa. I know you were expecting an extra payment.

Here I can play and be whoever I want to be on any given day. How fun is that?

Care to join me?

As always, bedazzled by life! Barbara


1 comment:

  1. Barbara, I am so excited for you to have a blog! I think this is a great decision and I am thrilled to add your blog to my list of favorites. Looking forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thankful For Books Giveaway with WOW! Women On Writing

 I'm excited my novella "Christmas With Ginger" is one of the many books in this fabulous giveaway with WOW! Women On Writing....